There’s no better way to end your summer than with a batch of piña colada cupcakes, perfect for end of the summer barbecues and gettogethers. It’s your favorite drink with a twist, delicious pineapple cake, topped with sweet fluffy coconut frosting.
For Pineapple Cupcakes:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (preferably cubed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple (drained)
For Coconut Icing:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons milk or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350, then line muffin tin and set aside.
- In electric mixer combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mix 1-2 minutes to mix dry ingredients.
- Slowly combine cubed butter until mixture resembles cornmeal. When butter is well mixed, add eggs one by one. Proceed by adding in milk, vanilla extract, and crushed pineapple.
- Fill liners with batter and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Slowly mix butter and powder sugar in a clean mixer or bowl.
- Mix in milk, vanilla, and coconut extract. Mix 2-5 minutes
- Once icing is well mixed, stir in coconut shreds by hand.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and set aside to cool.
- Once completely cooled, place icing into piping bag (optional) and ice each cupcake.
- Garnish with remaining coconut shreds if desired.