A chocolate cake is a cake made with cocoa powder . The ingredients are put into a bowl and mixed together; then the mixed ingredients are put into a cake tin and put in an oven until it is fully cooked. Then the cake is taken out of the oven and placed on a cooling stand.
- butter and flour for coating and dusting the cake pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1½ cups warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. (see cooking lesson below)
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Divide batter among the three pans. I found that it took just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake meets the toothpick test (stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean).
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
“Photo and Recipe Credit: thestayathomechef.com”